This post may contain affiliate links, which helps keep this content free. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Calling all menopausal women! Do you suffer from night sweats? If so, you know how uncomfortable and embarrassing it can be.
It can keep you up at night, and make it difficult to get a good night’s sleep. If you’re looking for a solution, ChiliSleep has the answer: the Ooler Sleep System! Keep reading for my review of this innovative new product.
What is the ChiliSleep OOLER Sleep System?
What is the Ooler Sleep System by ChiliSleep? It’s the best dang thing you can do for yourself if you are suffering through hot flashes and night sweats.
I started going through “the change” about 2 years ago, and it’s been quite the experience so far.
With hot flashes coming in rapid succession during the day and night sweats waking me up almost every hour at night, I thought my days of restful sleep were over.
Mentally and physically, I was suffering. And as a result, I started gaining weight. As someone who has always pretty easily maintained a healthy weight, I can’t even begin to express how frustrating this was.
I’m sure many of you can relate.
A little over a year ago, my husband shared info about a few “bed cooling systems”, and was convinced I should get one….
But I didn’t look much further once I saw the price tag. I’m terrible about spending money on myself, even for my own self care.
Fast forward a year, and my husband bought me the Ooler Sleep System by ChiliSleep for Mother’s Day.
It only took a single night’s sleep with my new cool mattress pad….price tag be damned! It was worth every penny!
The Specs on the OOLER Sleep System
ChiliSleep uses leading cooling technology to produce a system that serves as a highly effective method to achieve and maintain restorative, deep sleep every night.
According to my Apple Watch (using the AutoSleep app), I rarely obtained enough deep sleep every night before using the OOLER Sleep System. Most night, I was lucky to get more than 1 hour of deep sleep.
Now, I rarely get less than 2 hours of deep sleep, and sometimes I even get more than 3 hours of deep sleep.
Before OOLER, I had trouble getting more than 6 total hours of sleep, and woke up nearly every hour.
After OOLER, I get more than 8 hours of sleep most nights, and only wake up once to go to the bathroom….(I swear my bladder is shrinking as I get older!)
OOLER Precise Temperature Control
I’m a sucker for technology, and ChiliSleep delivers in that department too.
The system comes with an app to download to your phone which allows you to:
- Turn the system on and off
- Adjust the temperature
- Set Bed Temperature Schedules which allows you to schedule automated temperature adjustments throughout the night to keep your bed at the perfect temperature for optimal sleep
- Warm Awake Functionality so you can replace your jarring alarm clock sound with gentle warming that triggers your body’s natural wake response.
Other OOLER Sleep System features
- Active Cooling – Temperature ranges from 55-115°F / 13-46°C so you can set it to your ideal bed temperature and get your best sleep possible.
- Variable Fan Speeds – Choose different fan speeds based on your preference for cooling power and noise.
- On-Device Temperature Controls – Control your bed temperature with accessible on-device buttons.
- Fits Under the Bed – Place under bed frames 6.25″ or higher for a minimalist look.
- Auto Dimming – The LED screen automatically dims and then turns off seconds after use so it doesn’t affect your sleep.
- Reversible for Customized Comfort – The Cool Mesh side provides maximum cooling effect while the quilted cotton blend side provides cool comfort.
- Works for 1 or 2 Sleepers – Choose to cover half the bed with a ME pad or an entire bed with the WE pad, which provides the ability to temperature regulate each side independently.
- Fits Any Mattress Profile – Can fit any mattress height. The ME Pad even works on split adjustable beds.
- Simple Installation and Easy Cleaning – Elastic straps allow for quick installation and removal for cleaning. 100% machine washable and dryable.
How does the OOLER Sleep System work?
The OOLER Sleep System by ChiliSleep is a great way to keep cool (or warm) at night. The system circulates water through a hydronic pad placed on top of your mattress.
This helps to keep you cool (or warm) and comfortable all night long. The control unit adjust the temperature of the water coming from the pad, sending it back out at the perfect temperature you specify.
Even though the OOLER Sleep System is primarily used as a cooling pad, it works equally well as a warming pad. There is no need for a separate electric blanket for those that need it in the winter time!
Who should use the OOLER Sleep System?
Because of the price tag, I would not recommend this product to someone who just needs a warming blanket at night. There are plenty of inexpensive electric blankets on the market.
However, I highly recommend this blanket for:
- Hot flashes – any women suffering through hot flashes and night sweats as a result of perimenopause or menopause will LOVE this product.
- General hot sleepers – If you find yourself throwing off the covers in the middle of the night or sleep with your feet hanging out of the blankets, this cooling mattress pad is for you.
- Athletes – If you are looking for a way to speed up recovery time, this product can help. The OOLER Sleep System can be used to both cool down sore muscles after a workout and to warm up muscles before working out.
- Couples – This product is great for couples because each person can adjust their side of the bed to their preferred temperature. No more arguments about being too hot or too cold!
- Biohackers – If you are into biohacking and looking for ways to optimize your sleep, this product is a great addition to your toolkit.
Benefits of using the OOLER Sleep System
There are lots of benefits to using this bed cooler, but here are some of my favorites.
- No more fighting of the thermostat at night. You can set the OOLER Sleep System to your desired temperature and let the rest of the family fight over the thermostat setting.
- Save on your AC bill. Before using this bed cooling system, I’d crank the AC down to 66 degrees at night. Now I set the thermostat at 70 degrees F at night, which saves a boatload of money, especially in the summer. Plus, I’m not freezing out the entire family at night.
- Best sleep of your life. I’m not even joking on this one, and my sleep app agrees. I sleep longer, deeper, and feel more rested every morning.
- Water-based system. The system sets and maintains more precise temperatures compared to electric or air-based sleep systems.
- Lower Sleeping Heart Rate. My overnight sleep heart rate averages 5 points lower than each night since using the OOLER Sleep System.
Drawbacks of using the OOLER Sleep System
Honestly, there is only one drawback, and that’s the price. The cooling mattress pad comes in 2 sizes, Half Queen and Half King, meaning that if your partner wants to benefit from using a cooling mattress, you will have to purchase 2 of them.
They offer a payment plan for those than want or need it.
Is Ooler worth the money?
Although the price tag may be off-putting for some, the Ooler Sleep System is definitely worth the investment. The system can be set to your desired temperature, making it a great choice for hot sleepers or those dealing with night sweats. Additionally, the water-based system maintains more precise temperatures than electric or air-based systems.
If you are looking for a way to get the best sleep of your life, the Ooler Sleep System is worth the investment.
How long does it take for Ooler to get cold?
To pre-cool your entire bed, turn on the OOLER Control Unit approximately 20 minutes prior to going to bed. Check that the Reservoir of the Control Unit is full of water and that there are no kinks in the tubing of the Hydronic Pad.
Because it’s a closed system, you don’t have to worry about water evaporation, and once full, you should not have to refill the tank. The control system will display a water droplet on screen if it’s low.
The OOLER app allows you to set a schedule, so you don’t have to remember to pre-cool the bed. Just set it and forget it!
How loud is the Ooler?
The system has two settings, normal mode and boost mode. Some might consider it pretty loud, but I actually enjoy the white noise effect.
I’d say it’s louder than a CPAP but quieter than many AC window units.
Does Ooler turn off automatically?
Yes, the OOLER Sleep System will turn off automatically. You simply set the schedule via the ooler app and it will automatically turn on for bedtime and turn off at the desired wake time.
In addition to turning off automatically, you can set the warm wake feature in the schedule so the blanket gradually warms up, allowing you to wake up naturally.
Final thoughts on the ChiliSleep
I LOVE my ChiliSleep and would absolutely recommend the OOLER Sleep System to everyone.
Even though I was initially hesitant due to the price tag, all that went away after one night with the cooling mattress pad. It is worth, every penny!
- Sun Home Saunas Infrared Sauna Blanket Review
- How to Use Red Light Therapy at Home + Anti-Aging, Skin-Healing Benefits